Wednesday, August 20, 2014

First Day!!

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.”

This rang very true this past Monday. It was Marley's first day of 1st Grade and the triplet's first day of Preschool. Everyone was very, very excited about all of these firsts. Everyone except me. I was not ready for summer to be over and definitely not ready to have all four of my children away from me for more of the day than they are with me. Ideally, the triplet's would have been able to do half days at preschool a few days a week like the majority of three year old's starting do. But, because there are three of them (plus a big sis!) I really need to work so they have to do full days, 5 days a week. Me working full time is the best decision for our family so that is what will be done. They have been going with me to drop off and pick up Marley since she started there plus going to any of the school events and programs so all of the teachers and staff know them really well. The Preschool Director has been anxiously awaiting for "The Trifecta" (as she calls them) to start. We went to Open House the week before school started and they got to meet their teachers and new friends. They loved it. The anxiously awaited Monday morning when they began a whole new adventure. Marley had her Open House that evening and got to see her 1st Grade Teacher and all of her friends. They go to a small school so Marley already knows all of the teachers there so she wasn't meeting her teacher for the first time or anything. Everyone went to bed at a decent time on Sunday as we have to wake up pretty early to get everyone up, dressed, fed and in the car before 7:30. They have been a little confused as to why they have to get up before the sun is up, but they've done really well with the early wakeups. (They were sleeping until 9ish and Marley until 10ish over summer!) So on Monday everyone was ready and loaded in the car and off to Preschool and 1st Grade we went! We took Marley in first and she hugged each of the babies bye and told them she would see them during the day (she passes by them while they are on the playground a few times a day) and then hugged me and I watched my big girl sit at her seat and begin her morning work and transform into a 1st Grade Student for the next 7 hours. Next we walked a few doors down to the Preschool Room. When we walked in there were two little boys screaming very loudly and Marissa instantly asked me to pick her up. They all put their bookbags and lunch boxes in their assigned cubbies. The teachers then had them form a line to wash their hands before beginning their day. Jack went right in, washed his hands and then sat at a table with a few other kids. Makayla did the same and happily ran to sit by the teacher who was going to read a story. Marissa asked me to take her in to wash her hands so I did and then I told her I had to go and her eyes filled with tears. I think the two boys crying unsettled her and she felt nervous for the first time about it all.  Her teacher came and got her from me and the real screaming started. I gave her a quick kiss and exited the room. It is so hard to walk away from your child crying for you to stay, but I learned with Marley years ago that the sooner mom is out of sight the sooner they calm down. Lingering around just makes it harder on everyone. I stood outside the door for a few minutes and she calmed down in no time. One of their teachers texted me mid-day to let me know they were doing great. I did not have work that day and it was a very long day waiting to go pick them up. You would think after going over 3 years without having time to myself that it would be enjoyable, but I was so anxious about them that all I wanted to do was go get them and hear about their day. At 2 o'clock I finally left to go get them a surprise to have waiting in the car and then go sit in carline. When I pulled into carline I saw the Preschool class playing outside and saw how much fun they were having. All of last year while sitting in carline to get Marley, they begged to go on the playground that you are parked right next to while waiting. How bittersweet that their wish has come true! Marley's teacher is the one in charge of calling out the student's to come to their cars and she told me that Marley had a great first day! I expected no less from her. Marley got in the car and told me she had a lot of fun and seemed really excited about First Grade. Then we went around and parked and went in to get the triplets. By then they had moved inside but the teachers had them waiting for me with backpacks on as they saw me in carline. They all ran to Marley and I and gave us big hugs and everyone started talking about their day at once. Jack's highlight was playing with his buddy Declan, Makayla's was coloring with her teacher and Marissa's was building blocks. They were all VERY excited and couldn't wait until the next day to go back. It's a tough thing as a mom- to watch your kids grow up in what feels like the blink of an eye. It doesn't seem possible that it's been three years since they came into our world and they are now in the world of Preschool. It doesn't seem possible that my Marley is 6 (birthday post coming soon) and I can close my eyes and remember so many details about her as a baby and can't believe it's been so long since that was actually happening. I do love watching them grow and seeing the little people they've become, but it is hard to let go of the past when it comes to your babies. I look forward to seeing what 1st Grade and PK3 brings and watching all 4 of my babies thrive.

Marissa ready to go!

Jack wondering why the heck am I up so early but excited nonetheless

Makayla being cute as usual

Group shot....the little girls were yelling, "PRESCHOOL!!"

Marley is ready...smiling on cue isn't always successful ;)

Caught a picture of them being more "them"

Hugging sissy bye

My 1st Grader ready to learn...

1 comment:

  1. Awe!!!!
    I am a bit envious still. I do wish/hope we can find a place when we get moved that we can afford & the boys can go a couple days a week. It's awesome that the babies already know the school & teachers so well.

    ReplyDelete