Monday, November 25, 2013

Glue & Staples & Gray Hairs (Oh My!)

There's a study that says that redheads turn gray much later in life than the average person. However, I highly doubt this study takes into account redheads that are the mother of triplets plus one. I know in the past 3 weeks, I have probably grown many new gray hairs on my head. About 3 weeks ago, I was just finishing up making dinner when I heard Marissa crying. And it wasn't the normal "he took my toy" or "she won't let me drink her juice" cry. It was a high pitched, something really hurts cry. So I ran toward Marley's room (where she was playing) as she ran toward the living room and saw blood streaming down her face. Marley, Makayla & Jack all started screaming when they saw the blood and we quickly got a rag and slowed it down and asked Marissa what happened. She said she fell on Marley's window ledge. The cut was definitely one that required medical attention so off to After Hours we went. When we got there Marissa went right up to the counter and introduced herself as well as Marley and I and told them why she was there. The nurse called up back and asked her if she could please step on the scale, to which Marissa replied, "I sure can!" and I don't think the girl stopped talking for more than 10 seconds the entire visit there. Luckily they were able to glue her head together and as of now it is healing very nicely and becoming less noticeable by the day. Though I know quite a few people who probably hope a small scar stays so they can tell the girls apart. Ahem, grandmas!

Fast forward three weeks to yesterday. All three of the babies took long, late naps. I knew this would mean a late bedtime. At midnight they were still awake and Mike went in there and told them they needed to stop playing around and get to sleep. Five minutes later I heard them all screaming. I went in there and saw a lot of blood on Makayla's bed and the girls crying, "Jack's hurt!" but saw no blood. Then Jack came up to me to hug me and I saw the blood rushing down the back of his head. They all said they were jumping on the bed and he fell and hit his head on the side of the bed. He had a very large gash in the back of his head that also required immediate medical attention. I ran to get some jeans and a jacket on (it was actually chilly last night) and grabbed a jacket and shoes for him and off to the Emergency Room we went. We got there a little before 1am and were taken back immediately. The doctor said she would have to staple his head. So they came in and put the numbing gel on it for about 30 minutes and came back and put 3 staples in it and off we went. I found it a little odd they didn't shave his hair around his cut and I feel like the staples are too far apart and there should possibly be one or two more, but I guess they know more than me! He was very brave thru it all and whined for about 5 minutes after they left saying his head hurt. He was so concerned about a baby we heard crying in the room next to us and kept asking if it was okay. Such a kind hearted boy. Today he is doing good, he only cries if he accidently bumps his head but he is very careful to try not to. He goes next Tuesday to have the staples removed.

I told Mike the other day that his beard is getting a lot of gray hairs in it. I imagine my head will look like that soon. Though I do have to say, as I told the ER nurse, I think the first trip to the ER with triplets happening at 2 1/2 years old is pretty darn good! (Though we won't count the After Hours visits that we've done because that technically isn't the ER right?) So, pray that Makayla doesn't join the head gashing club in the next few weeks. I may have to go buy my first box of hair dye if so.

Marissa heading to After Hours

Jack in the Emergency Room

No comments:

Post a Comment