Monday, September 12, 2011

So, the time has come where I've decided to start a blog. So much goes on in my day to day life that it may be the only way I will ever remember everything. As anyone who knows us is aware, we now have four kids....Marley, who just turned 3, and our (almost) 4 month old triplets- Marissa, Jack and Makayla!! Life has been a crazy ride over the past almost year but let's start when our lives were changed forever...We really wanted to give Marley a baby brother or sister (who knew we are such over-achievers!) and I found out I was pregnant on October 15, 2010. Well, on Thanksgiving Day, I was in bed with horrible pain in my right side all day. By the time I got to my mom's house for Turkey Dinner, I could barely sit up straight and was definitely not able to eat (this was a sign of things to come!) I was pretty disappointed after much anticipation of this feast! My mom ordered me to the emergency room where we endured hours of tests, all of which came back negative. Then they took me back for an ultrasound. It felt like the ultrasound tech was taking forever to finish and she could not tell me what she saw. I had a feeling it was either really bad news or else we were having twins. So, they take me back to the room and the doctor comes in with a big smile on his face. He says "I have good news and good news. We don't see any infections. And, are you on any fertility drugs?" I instantly thought twins. My nephews are twins and I thought, we have done this before, we can do it! I quickly answer "no" and then he does what I, nor anyone, would have ever imagined....he holds up THREE fingers. I immediately felt the blood rush to my head and was grateful I was laying down. I look over at my husband, Mike, and he looked as dumbfounded as I felt. He said "You saw 3 heartbeats??? You are sure??" and the doctor smiled even bigger and said "Yes!" I felt so many different things in that moment-excitement, fear, happiness, nerves, but mostly guilt. Guilt because I knew the time these three miracles would take away from my precious two year old, knew she was too young to understand it, but I also knew she would be a wonderful big sister and even then, I could have never expected her to handle it as well as she has. I think we just sat there for five minutes taking it in. The doctor wouldn't show us the ultrasound pictures so I don't think we really believed him yet. They let us leave and I instantly called my mom and told her. She was in total shock and said, "That's the same hospital that told you your wrist was broken when it wasn't...let's wait to see your doctor." Mike called his mom and it took him five minutes to convince her we weren't playing a joke on her. We then called some of our family and close friends and they were all in shock, yet very supportive from that first minute we told them. Looking back, I wish we could have recorded everyones reactions. It was usually total disbelief or else they just agreed and said congratulations until it sunk in what we said and then they went crazy. One of my favorite reactions was a close friend of mine. I called her the morning after we found out (we didn't leave the ER until after midnight) and she was getting ready to attend the funeral for one of her best friends and had been very upset for days. When I told her, she laughed hysterically for probably three minutes and was so excited. It was nice to hear her laugh again after seeing her so sad and heartbroken over her loss and I think we both realized in that moment, life is never something you can plan. We are just along for the ride! We had to wait three long days to go to my doctor where it was confirmed....we were indeed having triplets!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'll be the first to comment... :)
    I LOVE your blog!!! It is awesome!!!
    And I love to hear how people first found out & the doctors first question "were you taking fertility drugs?" Odd though that they wouldn't let you see the ultrasound photos.
    Anyways, Congrats on the blog, I love it & will be following along :)

    ReplyDelete