Monday, June 17, 2013

Blood Work & Dentist Visits

At their two year checkups, the doctor said he would like Jack to have some blood work done to check a few different things. Jack is always in a very high percentile in length and very low in weight and he still drools quite a bit and these could all be indicators that his thyroid may not be functioning as it should. I think he is thin because he doesn't eat a whole lot and I think part of his drooling is due to the fact that he still has a ton of teeth coming in. And I think it has become a bit of a habit for him. But, I definitely want to know for sure, and it will be good to have baseline blood work incase there are ever questions in the future and we need comparisons. I originally scheduled his appointment on a Saturday morning because Mike is off of work and that way I wouldn't have to drag all 4 kids to an appointment I wasn't sure would go so smoothly. As a baby, Jack had horrible veins and would have to have IVs in his scalp because of it. When he was a few months old, he had to have blood drawn and they poked his poor little body all over the place and had a terrible time. So, I was really dreading taking him because of this. I took him on that Saturday and when we got there they said they can only do what he needed Monday thru Thursday. Frustrating! But, I made the appointment for the following Thursday because Mike was going into work late anyways because Marley had a dentist appointment. So, Thursday morning Jack, Marley & I went to his appointment together. They had him sit in the chair and the nurse starting tapping his arms to find the best vein and then she looked at me and said, "He has no veins." I was worried she would say that. She then picked his left arm and called another nurse in to help hold him down since he is so young. She stuck his arm, wiggled the needle a tiny bit and out came blood!! Woohoo!!! She had to take 4 vials from him and he did not cry, whine, complain, or even move. The other nurse just stood there talking to us. When she was done she gave him high fives and told me she had never seen such a cooperative two year old. She said she also couldn't believe she got it on the first try. Yay for Jack! Now we just have to wait a few more days for the results. After that, we drove down the street for Marley's dentist appointment. She really, really loves going and was really excited that Jack got to watch her. She had a super friendly hygienist named Cricket and it went great. Jack sat on my lap watching the whole time (they are such good babies when you get them individually) and then the dentist checked Marley and told her she had no cavities. They make a really big deal out of it there and she got to ring a bell, pick stickers, a (sugar free) lollipop, and a coin to choose a toy. When we finished up we were up front setting up her next appointment and I asked them when I should bring in the triplets. She said why not now? I figured, well we are here and then I just have to have the little girls done, so why not! We went back in and sat down and the hygienist told me that the dentist would be cleaning his teeth. Then what I heard her say was, "We will have you sit in the chair and Jack sit on your lap. Then you will lean back and put your head in the dentist's lap." I laughed a little bit and said, "Ok" and I am sure I gave her a crazy look. The dentist came out in the next few minutes and I turned my chair and started leaning back in her lap and she said, "Um what are you doing?" I was like, "She said I needed to put my head in your lap for his cleaning" and she said, "No, HIS head goes in my lap for the cleaning." Talk about embarrassing!! The whole staff got a chuckle out of that. But, he did really well for his first cleaning and just whined a little during it. No cavities for Jack either so he got all of the goodies big sis had. I am glad everything went so smoothly and now I just have to schedule Marissa and Makayla's first teeth cleaning!

No cavities!

Waiting to be called back

Ready for her cleaning

See this mom?! We need one at home

Tough boy after having his bloodwork

1 comment: